Important: How to amend Draft Charter for new Whois Working Group

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Apr 6 00:17:58 CEST 2007

Dear NCUC Council members
In considering this WG charter April 12, please move to amend it as
follows:

Under section 4b,
Change the sentence "Determine how third parties may access
registration data that is no longer available for unrestricted public
query-based access for legitimate activities."

to...

Determine which third parties, under which conditions, may access
registration data that is no longer available for unrestricted public
query-based access."

Also, strike the 8 paragraphs beginning "The GAC policy
principles...."

Reason:
The opening sentence of 4b reads as if ANY third party will be given
access to the data for any activity. But this begs the policy question
that the WG must answer, which is WHICH third parties (e.g., just law
enforcement agencies, or others) and under WHAT CONDITIONS.

As for the second change, having discussed this with GAC members, the
objections of the EU to the language was resolved by stating that some
of the ACTIVITIES that Whois data was used for was legitimate, but this
did not necessarily mean that ACCESS TO THE PRIVATE DATA was also
legitimate. Also, the Whois task force has already determined that the
purpose of Whois does not include many of these activities, so there is
no obligation on ICANN to make the data available for those activities.

>>> Mawaki Chango <ki_chango at YAHOO.COM> 3/30/2007 11:30 PM >>>
For your serious consideration.