draft gac whois principles text...

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 24 00:36:15 CEST 2006

Robin,

With all due respect, you are responding to a document
that hasn't been formally released for publication by
the GAC.

If your organization wishes to express its views on
the basis of an unratified working group initiative,
you are indeed at liberty to write to whomever you
choose in the pursuit of democratic participation, but
I would tend to regard such a reaction as premature
and as one that takes a focus away from more
productive pursuits.

I would rather see the organizational members of this
constituency focus on developing a model of WHOIS that
we can endorse and that can ultimately be accepted by
members of the ICANN Board.

While the GAC has a Working Group on WHOIS policy,
where is the NCUC working group?  One of our WHOIS
Task Force representatives has retired without being
replaced, while our other representatives seem to be
"missing in action" as reflected by their
non-participation on several recent WHOIS TF
teleconferences.

As a constituency we have work to do -- that's why
we're here.  A new WHOIS will not be achieved if we
don't act as a group to indicate precisely which data
fields we are prepared to accept for public display.

I had earlier posted some questions regarding views on
the tiered access WHOIS as utilized by the .name
registry, and on other matters.  Unless we begin to
fully discuss these issues and clearly articulate our
vision of how a future WHOIS will look and operate, we
will likely continue to be stuck with the status quo.

Best wishes,
Danny