rebidding TLDs

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 15 17:11:02 CEST 2006

Hello Milton,

just a short note as I have a busy day at the
office...

Mawaki may formally record my dissent with the
constituency position on this issue, and I am happy to
continue discussing the matter.

The paragraphs below are quotations from Karl
Auerbach's blog that manage to capture my perspective
on the topic:

"Do we really believe that these operators need
"presumptive renewal" to give them the incentive to
maintain the quality of their TLD businesses so that
they can continue to attract and retain customers?
I'n certainly not about to drink any of that kind of
Cool-Aid.

By granting presumptive renewal rights ICANN
eliminates the lever it has to coerce a TLD operator
should that operator's behavior drift outside the
bounds established by published and widely accepted
internet standards.

In other words, presumptive renewal is a form of
institutional self-emasculation.  The presumptive
renewal clause in the existing ICANN-Verisign contract
has almost completely immunized Verisign against
anything that ICANN might say or do."

http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000263.html