gTLD String Criteria

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 8 17:27:52 CEST 2006

GNSO Council Chair Bruce Tonkin has posted a synopsis
of the Amsterdam new gTLD discussion on string checks.
 One of the "outcomes" is the following:

String criteria:
(d)     The string should not be <controversial,
political, cultural, religious terms> (develop text
related to public policy issues with GAC)

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-council/msg00203.html

I am of the view that this outcome has the potential
of stifling free speech.

If a non-profit sponsoring organization should come
forth and apply for a tld such as .gay for the
international gay and lesbian community, are we
comfortable denying such an application on the grounds
that some might view it as controversial?

Hopefully I am misunderstanding this particular
"outcome".  Perhaps an Amsterdam participant or
someone that has reviewed the three days worth of
recordings can clarify this matter...