draft gac whois principles text...

Chun Eung Hwi chun at PEACENET.OR.KR
Tue Sep 26 03:36:23 CEST 2006

Dear Robin,

Suzanne Sene's message shows us their time frame as follows;

"to meet the December deadline for gac plenary approval of the text, all
gac members are requested to submit comments via the working group 1
discus thread on whois according to the following timeline:

October 13:  submission of first round of comments

October 27:  revised text circulated

November 2:  submission of second round of comments

November 27:  final version of text circulated

we will discuss the text during the working group 1 meeting in sao paulo
on December 3, followed by discussion and adoption by the gac plenary."

chun

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Robin Gross wrote:

> Do we have a time-frame for GAC to "finalize" its position?  By when
> should people have their letters in to their GAC reps to make a difference?
>
> I like the idea of encouraging other civil society groups like EDRi to
> join in this effort.
>
> Robin
>

> Chun Eung Hwi wrote:
>
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Thank you for your information and some insightful talks!
> >I have already proposed to discuss what comments our government will make
> >on this US-Australian proposal in our internet addressing policy advisory
> >committee - it is a governmental committee where some civilian members are
> >invited including me. So,coming Friday, we will discuss it.
> >
> >I have also some questions how procedure have been taken in GAC. In last
> >GAC communique, they wrote "The GAC believes therefore that the final
> >definition of the purpose of WHOIS data needs to reflect the public policy
> >concerns expressed by GAC members. The GAC is intending to produce policy
> >advice on the purpose and use of WHOIS in the form of principles for the
> >Sao Paulo meeting." However, I don't know whether the work of drafting gac
> >whois principle document was mandated to some government. I will try to
> >find what happened in GAC and if there is any procedural problem for this
> >drafting process.
> >
> >In Friday meeting, I will explain what GNSO whois purpose definition
> >really means and if possible - although I am not so optimistic - I will
> >persuade our government to take more supportive position to GNSO
> >definition. Of course,bottom line is to make her not to support the
> >present gac draft document. I also hope other NCUC members to act in this
> >way. One problem is that we have very limited number of active members.
> >Then, can we share this information with other civil society members? I
> >think in European countries, EDRI could do something. And some other apc
> >members would do so in their own countries. Can we move it more
> >effectively?
> >

> >regards,
> >
> >Chun
> >

> >On Sun, 24 Sep 2006, Milton Mueller wrote:
> >

> >>Danny,
> >>
> >>Dr. Milton Mueller
> >>Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> >>http://www.digital-convergence.org
> >>http://www.internetgovernance.org

> >>As a matter of fact, it is. There are no other members of this so-called
> >>"working group." Name one. Where is the composition of this WG posted?
> >>This "working group" has been selected by Sene to include only
> >>governments who agree with the US position.
> >>
> >>What happened here is very simple. The Australian delegate drafted this
> >>position. Full stop. The position does not reflect the views of any
> >>government besides those of the US and Australia, despite the fact that
> >>opposing views have been expressed by at least two other governments,
> >>the Article 29 working group, etc.

> [...]

Chun Eung Hwi
General Secretary, PeaceNet |   fax:     (+82)  2-2649-2624
Seoul Yangchun P.O.Box 81   |   pcs:     (+82)  19-259-2667
Seoul, 158-600, Korea  	    | eMail:   chun at peacenet.or.kr