draft gac whois principles text...

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 23 21:48:19 CEST 2006

Milton,

I think that you are overreacting.  This is not a case
of two govts working in private and then declaring
what is "public policy".

Suzanne Sene functions as the convenor of the GAC
working group on WHOIS.  That working group (probably
more than two members) agreed on text drafted by the
Australian GAC contingent.  The draft -- let me repeat
-- draft -- has now been forwarded to the entirety of
the GAC membership for a preliminary round of
comments.

I see nothing sinister in the process.  It may well be
that other GAC members will disagree with the language
presented and will seek modifications, enhancements,
revisions, or amendments.  What ultimately emerges may
bear little similarity to this initial text.

What troubles me is the rush to meddle in the internal
affairs of another advisory group and the call for a
reactionary letter-writing campaign.

Would you want the GAC or any other constituent body
engaging in a letter writing campaign to the NCUC?
Would you like it if external interests attempted to
apply pressure on select NCUC members in order to
achieve a certain result?

Let the GAC do whatever it needs to do.  That's their
business, not ours.  Our business is to formulate a
WHOIS proposal that serves the noncommercial interest,
yet thus far I have not seen any attempt to craft such
a model.

It's easy enough to complain that what others have
proposed runs counter to our interests... but at the
end of the day such whining fails to serve our needs
if a counter-proposal is not on the table.

If this constituency is serious about the future of
WHOIS policy, then we have a duty to present an
alternative model and to make the case for such a
model.

I look forward to discussion within the constituency
on what a future WHOIS should look like.

best wishes,
Danny