Fwd: [gtld-council] GNSO PDP Dec 05: Draft Recommendations Summary

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 14 18:47:17 CEST 2006

Mawaki,

I have concerns regarding section 4.4 reprinted below:

4.4	There should be renewal expectancy.  A contract
would be renewed provided that the license holder is
not in material breach of the contract, or has not
been found in repeated non-performance of the
contract, and provided the license holder agrees to
the any new framework contract conditions that are
reasonably acceptable.    Any new framework contract
would take into account the consensus policies in
place at that time.

I do not favor presumptive renewal having noted the
benefits of re-bids (that served to significantly
lower the .net registry fees).

There are registries (such as .pro) that are neither
in material breach of their contracts nor are engaged
in repeated contract non-performance that nevertheless
should be re-bid in that the current sponsoring
organization has not properly served its respective
community -- .pro for example has only 4628 domains
under management; see
http://www.icann.org/tlds/monthly-reports/pro/registrypro-200605.pdf

The broader community, in thousands of comments
tendered on the .com, .biz, .info and .org registry
contract proposals, has signaled overwhelming
opposition to the concept of presumptive renewal.

I would appreciate hearing the views of the
constituency on this topic.  In my view the community
gains when contracts are put out for re-bid.  I
believe in the merits of the competition and would
argue that they outweigh presumptive rights for
incumbent registries.

best regards,
Danny