[Fwd: PIR Proposal to ICANN on Problems Caused by "Domain Tasting"]

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Wed Sep 13 23:08:54 CEST 2006

I see no problema in NCUC supporting the proposal, but need your input.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: PIR Proposal to ICANN on Problems Caused by "Domain Tasting"
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:06:40 -0400
From: Edward G. Viltz <eviltz at pir.org>
To: Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br>
CC: Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu>,	<fwellings at FREEPRESS.NET>

Dear Carlos,

I am writing to let you know about a proposal that PIR has made to ICANN
to address some of the problems that have arisen from the so-called
"domain tasting" activities of a few registrars. As you are probably
aware, some registrars will take advantage of the add-grace period
allowed under many registry agreements to register an available name for
a period of less than five days, test it for its ability to attract
clicks, and then delete names that appear to have no value. In some
cases, the deletions, as a percentage of registrations are over 90%.
Because of the automated nature of these system, this has led to some
unfortunate consequences - technical stress on systems (although this is
mostly under control) and also a growing trend, in PIR's experience,
that some names that formerly were used for respectable purposes have
been converted into porn sites and other undesirable uses.

Attached is a copy of the letter we sent to Tina Dam on May 15, 2006,
requesting permission (under our .ORG registry agreement) to commence
charging a "restocking fee" for the registrars whose deletions within
the add-period exceed 90%.

As mentioned in our letter to ICANN, we are combining this request with
a new program of education about the risks of allowing registrations to
lapse - a program focused on the risks experienced by non-commercial
users and tailored to reach this audience.

We trust that you and other members of the NCUC will support our efforts
to address this problem.

Thank you,

Ed

Edward G. Viltz                  (V) +1-703-464-7005
President & CEO                (F)  +1-703-464-7006
1775 Wiehle Ave.                Suite 102A
Reston, VA                         20190
www.pir.org <BLOCKED::BLOCKED::http://www.pir.org/>

        "Serving the Public Interest"

--

Carlos A. Afonso