NCUC Policy Discussion Document

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Wed Oct 18 13:32:23 CEST 2006

I've a problem with renewal policy  (OK, so a bit late to bring it up
now, but I was busy with other stuff at the time... or lazy, or
something.)

I'm fine with presumptive renewal for the new ICANN created TLDs --
info, biz, travel etc etc.   But why for the pre-ICANN TLDs?

COM, NET and ORG have been through a re-bid process (of one kind or
another), promises were made in those bids.  Surly to say a
presumption of renewal exists is pretty much saying to those
registries, 'don't worry about what you promised a couple of years
ago, unless you mess-up really badly, you're keeping your cash cow.'

ORG, for example, the bid was won not on technical criteria (and
Afilias seems to be doing just fine), but on ISOC's promises of what
it would do with the cash it received from ORG registrants.  I think
we should be requiring a review of whether those promises have been
met, to the same standard we would promises of technical performance.
Then they get their renewal.

Adam