Fwd: PAB nomination

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Oct 2 20:15:24 CEST 2006

Hello, all
We have chartered the Policy Advisory Board (PAB) for the .mobi TLD. I
secured recognition for NCUC as having the ability to appoint one of the
members, on its own and without approval of anyone else. ALAC appoints
another. There are also 2 other positions earmarked for NGOs or
individual users, but these are nominations that are put forward by
existing PAB members and approved by the current PAB.

Now that the composition of the PAB has been settled, we need to
reconstitute the PAB. See full info below. I would like to do it one
more term. I have a strong interest in the evolution of hte mobile
internet and a good grasp of the issues involved in .mobi startup.
Anyone else should see fit to nominate others. EC decides. We can also
nominate people for the other two slots. Younger and Kleiman are two
names that come to my mind. Although this is uncompensated work, again.

PAB experience has been pretty interesting. As is typical, one gives
advice and they do pay serious attention to it, but they make their own
decisions ultimately. We have dealt with issues like trademark sunrise,
how to handle pay per click in the new .mobi domain, and other policies.
Due to a NDA we had to sign, I have not done the greatest job of
reporting on this stuff but feel hampered by doubts about what docs I
can forward and don't have the time to write extensive descriptions on
my own.

>>> "Caroline Greer" <cgreer at mtld.mobi> 10/2/2006 1:53:37 PM >>>
Hi Milton,
Hope you made it back to the US safely. As discussed in part on last
week's PAB call, we need to secure a PAB nomination from the GNSO
Noncommercial Users Constituency for thenext term to begin on 2 December
2006.

We have asked the same of ALAC and we will need a nomination before
20th October.

To re-iterate the Charter - the 5 non-MAG members of PAB are
constituted as follows: one (1) member shall be appointed by the ICANN
At Large Advisory Committee (ALAC), one (1) shall be appointed by the
ICANN GNSO Noncommercial Users Constituency (NCUC), and one (1) shall be
appointed by the registry contractor. The remaining two positions are
intended to be representatives of individual Internet users and
noncommercial NGOs; nominations for those slots can be made by current
PAB members or mTLD and when there is more than one nomination for each
category the nominee will be selected by a vote of the current PAB.

[Incidentally, you free to stand again on behalf of this Group].