ncuc constituency meeting

Danny Younger dannyyounger at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 30 14:43:09 CET 2006

I would appreciate it if the constituency could
discuss the role and activities of the NCUC Policy
Committee (whose function, as I understand it, is to
consult with constituency members to develop policy
positions).

While the Constituency is to be commended for their
work in the area of WHOIS/Privacy, this is not the
only DNS issue.  We need policy development in a
number of other areas, including:

1.  Domain name tasting/ add grace period policy
2.  A review of established consensus policies such as
the Expired Domain Deletion Policy that has been
circumvented by every single registrar in the
aftermarket game
3.  Registrant Data Escrow policy that appears to only
be honored in the breach
4.  Redemption Grace Period policy -- the Phase Two
initiative was supposed to have been started well over
three years ago
5.  revisiting the UDRP
6.  IDNs
7.  Policy regarding warehousing of or speculation in
domain names by registries or registrars
8.  Data Mining Policy
9.  Policies regarding DNSSEC implementation

In my view, the constituency should be doing
substantially more policy development work, and should
be involving many more constituency members in these
activities.

While I commend individual members (like CDT) for
communicating directly to the ICANN Board on matters
such as transparency and accountability, these too are
areas in which defined constituency positions would be
helpful.

I'm looking for more dialogue and more group-think and
more participation.  Any help in this general
direction (through a structured approach) would be
appreciated.

My two cents.

Danny