Fwd: Re: MINC Membership Application for NCUC

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Nov 20 18:52:33 CET 2006

This is Prof. Tan's response to my question

>>> Tan Tin Wee <tinwee at bic.nus.edu.sg> 11/17/2006 7:13:58 AM >>>
Dear Professor Mueller,

Sorry for taking so long to get back.
Had been overseas in India.

MINC is a not-for-profit organisation which over the
past half a decade has been formed from a wide diversity
of members from businesses, academic institutions, research
organisations, government agencies, for the purpose of
promoting multilingualism on the internet in particular
Internet names such as IDNs. We are therefore not a trade
association by definition or by the activities we have
been carrying out. We have involved in educating international
organisations about IDNs, pioneering the technologies
and advocating its deployment,
including educating members of ICANN and the ICANN
establishment itself and the UN, language organisations
throughout the world. In fact, we have also been involved
in testing of IDNs way back, which
ICANN has finally seen fit to do likewise only recently.
Likewise, we have researched and surveyed the community
to discover the de facto fragmentation and recorded the
potentially divergent locally deployed TLDs in a recently
released report, as well as drawn the first attention to this emerging
problem to the ITU/UNESCO meeting earlier this year.
ICANN too has finally caught on this. THerefore, we see ourselves
playing a key stakeholder role in pioneering IDNs (I myself
you would have recalled being the first to deploy a working
model of IDNs way back in 1998 and my student James Seng
involved in chairing the IETF wg that produced the IDNA
standard). In this regard, we have had many years of hands-on
experience to contribute to the process and to demystify
and even demythologise the half truths surrounding IDNs,
IDNs at the root and IDN applications that have been
propagated.

So I believe we are fully eligible.

Looking forward to your positive response.

bestrgds
tin wee
--
Dr Tan Tin Wee
National University of Singapore
tinwee at bic.nus.edu.sg

Milton Mueller wrote:

> Dear Dr. TAN:
> Thanks for your interest in NCUC!
>
> I have forwarded your application to the NCUC list for eligibility
> consideration. Most comments are positive but we would like you to
read
> the eligibility criteria in the NCUC charter, particularly items
III.A.3