Whois Task Force Meeting in Marrakech

Iliya Nickelt iliya at GMX.DE
Fri May 26 00:32:11 CEST 2006

On 24 May 2006 at 15:19, KathrynKL at AOL.COM wrote:
> I would very much like to attend, but will need support from NCUC to
> attend.  Is there a process of applying for travel funding?

Anyone who wants to attend should apply to the chair or the EC -- the
common list works as well, of course. We try to ensure that as many of
our GNSO council members as possible can attend, but if the funds are
sufficient, we (EC) certainly try to fund the attendance of other NCUC
members as well. It seems likely that the grants we can offer for
Marrakesh will cover a fixed amount and thus be partial only. Yet task
force meetings are a good reason to apply. Making it possible to attend
to the meetings is what most of the PIR money is there for, after all.

> If no personal data is listed, how do you feel about listing the person
> who holds legal control of the domain name -- the individual,
> organization, small business, etc?

Now that I'm writing this, I may at least "add my mustard" (a German
idiom) to the whois question. In Germany we have a law that forces
everybody who runs a site (not necessarily a domain name) in a
"businesslike" manner ("geschäftsmässig") to publish an imprint on his
site. I won't go into the legal details of what businesslike may or may
not be. I see that as a good aproach to separate the legal stuff from the
technical, as businesses or organisations are somewhat more likely to
attract legal attention, whereas for individuals privacy should be more
important. But anyhow, each country may choose its own individual
solution. I still do not think that it is up to ICANN to set the level
here by enforcing an imprint (even without details) on every domain
holder by so-called technical standards. Most legal entities may be
interested to publish their contact address, so maybe the whois entry
could contain an *optional* legal contact tag. (I hope that this idea
does not open any backdoors. Plus you can already add optional entries
with the whois the way it is now, if I am not mistaken.) Above that, I
see no reason for any legal content in a technical database.

	--iliya

PS: Like anybody Denic (.de) also demands all the details to be published
in whois, regardeless of "businesslike" or not.