ncuc statement to GNSO...

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Thu Mar 30 02:47:59 CEST 2006

Carlos:
What's the timeframe on this?  I am happy to edit and expand the Whois
section a bit, but tomorrow afternoon is a better time for me.

If there is a deadline before that, I would recommend changing the following:
OLD:
Regarding Formulation 2 (supported by the IPC, ISPC, and BC
constituencies), there is need to clarify what "other issues related to
the registration or use of a domain name" really mean, as "other issues"
and "use of a domain name" may encompass everything, thus going beyond
ICANN's mission.

PROPOSED REVISION [Feel free to edit -- but I feel strongly it is time to go
on the offensive against Formulation 2.  This formulation is fundamentally
opposed to freedom of expression and noncommercial speech online, especially for
smaller players (those those don't have a business address and all domain name
data is personal).  Here's a try at a revision.  Edit freely!]
       ==>  Regarding Formulation 2 (supported by the IPC, ISPC, and BC
constituencies), there is a clearly a drive here to reach far more than the
technical contact associated with technical problems of a domain name.  The
Commercial Constituencies are to reach and exposre domain name registrants who
share content -- their ideas and thoughts -- to the Internet community.
       By providing a completely unbounded purpose of Whois (one that reaches
the infinite number of "other issues related to the registration or use of a
domain name"), the Commercial Communities take a narrow technical directory
and blows it up into a place to find contact information for speakers online.
Formulation 2 negates a world history of anonymous and private speech that
protects human rights activitists, political minorities, persecuted religious
groups, families sharing personal stories, and people sharing hobbies and the full
range of noncommercial interests.

       To require that individuals, families, small noncommercial
organizations and other small domain name registrants post their personal names,
addresses, phone numbers and email to the world in an instanteously available data --
although these registrants have no part to play in the techical administration
of the domain name -- serves no part in the technical purposes and mandates
of ICANN.