[governance] CIRA's response to ICANN's letter

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sat Jun 17 18:06:57 CEST 2006

I appreciate what the CIRA people are doing generally. But I do not
think that asking ICANN to hire a consultant to evaluate itself
constitutes a meaningful form of accountability. If ICANN selects and
pays the consultant, the consultant is not independent and is not in any
position to provide a truly independent assessment. It would be very
easy for ICANN to select service providers who were unlikely to rock the
boat. This is not a well thought out proposal.

>>> ca at rits.org.br 6/15/2006 6:17 PM >>>
Fascinating... I did a similar proposal during the hot discussion times

of WSIS but of course CIRA has far more leverage. :) My proposal called

for an independent review working group, not a single consultant, but
it
is welcome anyway.

--c.a.

Robert Guerra wrote:
> Thought this might be of interest to those on this list...
>
> http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/177.html
>
> June 15, 2006
> CIRA's response to ICANN's letter dated March 23, 2006
>
> Thank you for your letter dated March 23, 2006, and for taking the
time
> to meet with us on March 29, 2006 at the ICANN Meetings in
Wellington,
> New Zealand.
>
> As discussed at our meeting, and to reiterate: ICANN is not losing
> CIRA's Voice. CIRA has no intention of disengaging from ICANN.
>
> Rather, pending ICANN's resolution of the serious issues identified
in
> our open letter to ICANN dated March 17, 2006, related to
> accountability, transparency and fair processes, we have limited
CIRA's
> continued participation in ICANN. We do this to underscore the
gravity
> with which we view the issues raised and the urgent need for ICANN
> take positive and identifiable steps to remedy them.
>
> The ICANN model of multi-stakeholder partnership in Internet
governance
> represents a bold experiment. It holds tremendous potential for the
> long-term, stable management of the Internet. The issues identified
by
> CIRA and the manner in which ICANN responds to them will bear
directly
> on the ultimate success or failure of this model.
>
> Clearly there are numerous approaches that ICANN could take to
address
> the issues raised by CIRA. Choosing among these approaches is
entirely
> up to ICANN. Regardless of the particular approaches taken, ICANN
must
> demonstrate willingness to reform. Positive steps toward reform would
go
> a long way toward persuading CIRA that its ICANN participation should
be
> fully restored.
>
> To that end, and to demonstrate our commitment to moving the process
> forward in a productive manner, we offer the following suggestion
for
> ICANN's consideration, which suggestion could be implemented without
delay:

> CIRA recommends that ICANN engage a non-governmental, independent
> consultant to conduct a wide-reaching, public review of ICANN's
> transparency, accountability and the fairness of its processes and
> provide a road-map for ICANN's reform.
>
> This review can be conducted in a manner similar to the review of
each
> Supporting Organization Council, each Advisory Committee (other than
the
> Governmental Advisory Committee), and the Nominating Committee as
set
> out in Article IV, Section 4 of ICANN's Bylaws.
>
> CIRA puts forward this suggestion hoping that ICANN accepts it in
the
> constructive and positive spirit intended. We remain optimistic that
> ICANN will emerge from any reform process stronger and better for it.
We

     governance at lists.cpsr.org