CIRA ’s response to ICANN’s letter dated March 23, 2006

Robert Guerra rguerra at LISTS.PRIVATERRA.ORG
Thu Jun 15 22:00:23 CEST 2006

Thought this might be of interest to those on this list...

http://www.cira.ca/news-releases/177.html

June 15, 2006
CIRA’s response to ICANN’s letter dated March 23, 2006

Thank you for your letter dated March 23, 2006, and for taking the time
to meet with us on March 29, 2006 at the ICANN Meetings in Wellington,
New Zealand.

As discussed at our meeting, and to reiterate: ICANN is not losing
CIRA’s Voice. CIRA has no intention of disengaging from ICANN.

Rather, pending ICANN’s resolution of the serious issues identified in
our open letter to ICANN dated March 17, 2006, related to
accountability, transparency and fair processes, we have limited CIRA’s
continued participation in ICANN. We do this to underscore the gravity
with which we view the issues raised and the urgent need for ICANN to
take positive and identifiable steps to remedy them.

The ICANN model of multi-stakeholder partnership in Internet governance
represents a bold experiment. It holds tremendous potential for the
long-term, stable management of the Internet. The issues identified by
CIRA and the manner in which ICANN responds to them will bear directly
on the ultimate success or failure of this model.

Clearly there are numerous approaches that ICANN could take to address
the issues raised by CIRA. Choosing among these approaches is entirely
up to ICANN. Regardless of the particular approaches taken, ICANN must
demonstrate willingness to reform. Positive steps toward reform would go
a long way toward persuading CIRA that its ICANN participation should be
fully restored.

To that end, and to demonstrate our commitment to moving the process
forward in a productive manner, we offer the following suggestion for
ICANN’s consideration, which suggestion could be implemented without delay:

CIRA recommends that ICANN engage a non-governmental, independent
consultant to conduct a wide-reaching, public review of ICANN’s
transparency, accountability and the fairness of its processes and to
provide a road-map for ICANN’s reform.

This review can be conducted in a manner similar to the review of each
Supporting Organization Council, each Advisory Committee (other than the
Governmental Advisory Committee), and the Nominating Committee as set
out in Article IV, Section 4 of ICANN’s Bylaws.

CIRA puts forward this suggestion hoping that ICANN accepts it in the
constructive and positive spirit intended. We remain optimistic that
ICANN will emerge from any reform process stronger and better for it. We
continue to offer any assistance we can to ICANN and to the ICANN
Community in this regard.

Yours very truly,

Canadian Internet Registration Authority

Clyde Beattie
Board of Directors, Chair

Bernard Turcotte
President and Chief Executive Officer