NCUC questions GAC Law Enforcement experts in Marrakech...

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 2 11:51:25 CEST 2006

All:
Just wanted to share an article that came out in the Washington Internet
Daily this week -- on the explosive GAC-GNSO meeting.  It was a one-sided
meeting arranged by the US Government to deliver 3 law enforcement views that  state
the old premise:  law enforcement will collapse if personal data is  not
completely open and accessible (and accurate!).

Not a single data protection commissioner was invited to speak.   However,
questions were allowed.  Under careful questioning from Milton,  Wendy Seltzer
(ALAC), Nigel Roberts (ccTLD) and me, the arguments fell.  Of  course, privacy
is a respected value in the EU and Japan, and of course law  enforcement can
continue legitimate investigations even if Whois is not  public....

I share this Washington Internet Daily article with you -- ***please do not
repost** (because we do not have the copyright authorization for that).
Article  is on pg. 3 "Whois Databases Key to Inquiries, Consumer Privacy, FTC Says"

Best part is the last paragraph, Kathy