Amendment to Proposed motion on WHOIS -- last paragraph

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 2 04:28:31 CEST 2006

--- Milton Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> wrote:

 Almost everyone in this
> debate
> (except us) has tripped over the distinction between purpose
> and use at
> some time or another, and I think this is another case.
>
> My proposed one-word modification recognizes that the data can
> be used
> in ways that are not directly derived from its purpose. Thus,
> we do NOT
> want to say that the purpose of the data is to facilitate law
> enforcement or surveillance, but in some circumstances the
> data can be
> used for that. The real issue is the safeguards that are put
> in place to
> give access to the data for other purposes.

This seems to me a very good approach (and a better way to go as
opposed to a plain opposition to the purpose/use divide) in
order to avoid this distiction derailling into something where
the uses of the data will not be constrained at all by the
declared purpose for which it has been collected.

Mawaki