Fwd: [council] Proposed simplified WHOIS motion for 20 July 2006

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Jul 18 15:39:43 CEST 2006

Again, I think Bruce's insistence on a difference between the purpose of
"the Whois service" and the purpose of "the data itself" is confusing. I
would propose that he reword as follows:

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

--- Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> wrote:

> The GNSO Council notes that the current WHOIS definition is
> related to the service that provides public access to some or all of
the
> data collected, and is not a definition of the purpose of the data
> itself.

Change to:

The GNSO Council notes that the current WHOIS definition is related
to the service that provides unrestricted, unaccountable public access
to the data collected, and is not a definition of the purpose of all of
the
data collected by the registrars in the course of registering a domain
name for their customers.