Urgent message re: GNSO Council action on new gTLDs

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Fri Jan 27 07:15:37 CET 2006

>I agree with Milton but will add the following.
>
>1) How will transportation be funded?  Will each
>member pay his/her own way (as
>at ICANN meetings) or can ICANN be pursuaded to make "needs based" funding
>available given the "extraordinary and unanticipated" meeting.  Given that
>members of the NCUC must carefully plan and
>budget for ICANN meetings, including
>solicitng funds from foundations.  The meeting
>will also put the Consticuency in
>the position of deciding whether to fund travel to the proposed meeting or
>subsequent ICANN meetings.

I agree with this.  While we might have funds to
support someone attending this ad hoc meeting,
those funds were collected to help people attend
ICANN meetings, where they would be able to
contribute more and learn more.  I think we must
make the point that non-commercial and individual
users cannot plan for these "extraordinary and
unanticipated" meetings and we object to them
being held.

However, by all means send 3 local
representatives (to not attend would be self
defeating.)

And I hope our councilors will please emphasize
that Frankfurt is not an ideal location for GNSO
discussion of internationalized domain names.

Adam