New gTLDs policy development process -- comments and edits

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Jan 26 17:05:50 CET 2006

>>> <KathrynKL at aol.com> 1/25/2006 8:07:55 PM >>>
>On the one hand, they will want .AOL (just an example,
>I  have not seen the AOL people at ICANN); on the
>other hand, they don't want a  .WEB or
>.OPEN because it will conflict with their trademarks.
>So the strategy for us, I think, is to make it very clear
>to them that we will block theirs until they let us have ours.

OK, this is a good strategy, but you need to make that explicit. I.E., we have no objection in principle to those types of TLDs, but we will oppose them unless they are part of a generalized process that opens up the TLD space to applications from anyone.

And we should put more emphasis on multilingual TLDs, especially.