Urgent message re: GNSO Council action on new gTLDs

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 25 16:06:21 CET 2006

Milton and our NCUC Names Council representatives:

I think the meeting outlined below would be a disaster for us. I believe that
Marilyn Cade is being paid by her clients -- clients she refuses to disclose
in her conflict of interest statements -- and she will stack this meeting and
its agenda for their interests.  She has convinced the business constituency
that only sponsored gTLDs (those serving a very narrow, pre-defined group) can
be allowed.  She also wants single-letter top level domain.  She wants
absolutely nothing else, and her clients and constituency have not even heard the
arguments for opening up the root, and creating a market-oriented approach to a
broad range of new gTLDs.  I guarantee our view would be shuffled to the back
of the discussion.

Especially after Tunis, holding this type of GNSO Council meeting should be
dismissed as wrong.  We must not be catering to the US "raised eyebrow"
oversight of ICANN.  This important meeting should not be designed and manipulated by
Marilyn basically for the sole purpose of being easily available to her
clients' Washington offices.

I vote for Europe or Canada -- with a second public forum on exactly the same
topic in New Zealand at the ICANN meeting in March.

Regards, Kathy