Our statement on gTLD

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 28 23:36:30 CET 2006

Dear all,

please find attached (plain text below) the draft statement four your
ultimate appraisal. For almost all parts, I integrated the edits by
Kathy into Milton's initial draft, and for a couple of paras (minors)
I've reverted to the the initial phrasing with a few changes based
both on Kathy's contribution and my own understanding. I left only
one comment in the attachment to have your views if you think it is
politically desirable, or efficient, to have a (discrete) reference
to an USG statement commenting the WGIG report.

I felt that Carlos concern to avoid "doing policy on case-by-case
basis or on individual opinions" is already taken into account in the
current statement. But what about the idea of "a temporary freeze on
any gTLD move (new/deleg/redeleg) until an independent, qualified
pluralist working group (...) prepares a detailed report with
recommendations."? As such, it may sound a bit discordant with what
we have in the report now, unless we change the tone and the emphasis
of our statement - so this is up to all of us to decide what is our
position. Beware, we only have two days including Sunday.

Regards,

Mawaki