Urgent message re: GNSO Council action on new gTLDs

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Wed Jan 25 17:55:10 CET 2006

>>> Harold Feld <hfeld at mediaaccess.org> 1/25/2006 10:04 AM >>>
>1) How will transportation be funded?  Will each member pay his/her
>own way (as at ICANN meetings)

Yes, self-funding.

>The meeting will also put the Consticuency in
>the position of deciding whether to fund travel to the proposed
>meeting or subsequent ICANN meetings.

Yes, indeed, it will.
All things considered, we (NCUC) could get a better showing in Washington DC than in many other places. The point, however, is why? Why is the GNSO Council turning this into a lobbying meeting? They can collect all the comments they want via email and formal submissions. How is the resolution of this longstanding policy problem advanced by opening up another political circus where people reiterate the arguments we've all been making for years?

>2) Alternatively, although it is generally not permitted, can the
>constituency designate proxies in DC for the meeting.  Again,
>while not usually permitted, the unexpected and extraordinary
>nature of this meeting cries out for flexibility.

GNSO said every constituency could send 3 people.