gTLD meeting in DC

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Feb 12 22:45:33 CET 2006

I have to express some solidarity with Kathy here. We just got massacred in the public comments battle over whois. More generally, it is discouraging to not be able to mobilize our own folks when we need to. That being said, our efforts have made a big difference in this battle, and hopefully in the future when these critical periods come the constituency's organizational members will be able to marshall a bit more energy. I know we are all busy - my own comments came late, but they came, so I can see it from both sides. Let's resolve to do better in the future. Thx, Kathy.

>>> <KathrynKL at AOL.COM> 2/12/2006 12:51 PM >>>
Mawaki and all:
Thank you for organizing.  This is an honor I will be forced to forego.
I am deeply disppointed.  Last week, the Whois TF had a notice for public
comment and we needed short comments from NCUC members to support privacy and
human rights protections in the Whois database -- for our organizations and many
others around the world.   Privacy in the Whois database is an issue to which
Milton and I, as the Whois TF members have dedicated 1000's of hours.

In the past EPIC has responded to these calls; this time Rick Weingarten of
the American Libraries Association responded with fine comments.  And that was
it from our Constituency.  I am speechless at the silence.

So, no, I will not be able to attend the gTLD meeting here in Washington.
Kathy