How to Build an Internet Governance Forum?

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Feb 2 19:26:49 CET 2006

New Paper from IGP:
Building an Internet Governance Forum

Public consultations on this new "Internet Governance Forum" will be held in Geneva February 16-17. The Internet Governance Project releases a new discussion paper explaining how the Forum could work. Download the paper here:

http://dcc.syr.edu/miscarticles/IGP-Forum.pdf

The paper proposes three design criteria for the Forum: 1) It must be as open as possible and give all stakeholders equal participation rights; 2) its deliberations must be wide-ranging and resist politically motivated barriers to discussion; and 3) its products must feed into other, more authoritative Internet governance forums. We propose a structure and process for the realization of these objectives.

We also set out three policy problems that exemplify the kind of issues the Forum should take up: spam, Internet free expression, and public policy principles for the coordination of Internet resources.

Internet Governance Project:
http://www.internetgovernance.org