Sao Paulo ICANN meeting

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sun Dec 3 20:03:01 CET 2006

Hi there, NCUC'ers:

I've posted a webpage to promote our WHOIS workshops on Tuesday:
 http://ipjustice.org/wp/2006/12/03/120306/

Also, on the issue of new gTLDs, I'd like to encourage constituency
members attending the Sao Paulo meeting to speak up during the GNSO open
forum on the issue of the draft principles and recommendations for new
gTLDs.  This discussion will be on Monday 4 Dec. from 14:00 - 16:30.

The GNSO draft report recommends that no controversial words be allowed
to be used in gTLDs.  This means no sexual words, no religious words, no
words that are offensive or contrary to "morality" and public policy.

Besides being completely unworkable on a practical level, this is
censorship.  This policy violates the universal freedom of expression
guarantees of Internet users.  ICANN is in no position to be determining
what words can be used, in what context, and by whom.   But the current
draft recommendations will give ICANN this power.

Please NCUC'ers, speak up on this issue and tell the GNSO not to become
the 'word police for the Internet'.

Also, please raise the WHOIS privacy concerns during the GNSO open forum
on this topic from 16:30-19:00 on Monday.

Thank you!
Robin