sampa meeting report and elections

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Tue Dec 19 00:07:04 CET 2006

Dear NCUC members on this list,

sorry that I had to be off for some time since my return from the São
Paulo ICANN meetings for reasons of bad health.

Among the different items which need comments, I want to state now,
first of all in order not to delay some procedures:

I am prepared to be available again as a candidate for the NCUC
Executive Committee (Asia region), but I would welcome it if there would
be any other person to stand as candidate and take over if elected.

I am prepared to continue to be delegated by the NCUC as a delegate to
the GNSO Council; I admit that it is a hard job in two respects: though
I have been involved in ICANN affairs since 1999, to be an alert member
of the GNSO Council still requires a lot of reading on Council and on
Working Group and on Policy Development Process affairs - PLUS the
related teleconferences, once or several ones per months, mostly 90
minutes to two hours or more, and in my time zone often starting at 1 or
2 o'clock after midnight. - Having myself worked into the matter to some
extent, I am prepared and interested to serve the NCUC in this function
for another round. - I will not try to win over another candidate, if
there should be an alternate suggestion.

At the São Paulo NCUC face-to-face meeting, I had raised the question of
a long term personnel planning for the NCUC. I think it would be
appropriate (in case there is agreement that I now continue on the GNSO
Council) that the constituency considers who might replace present
councilors well ahead of the time of the expiry of our terms - probably
by offering suggestions to the list or to members of the Executive
Committee - so that arrangements of elections could be considered and
held well ahead of the expiry of current terms, and the newly elected
delegates into the Council (whatever its new structure may be) could
start to work alongside the incumbent members.

Carlos Afonso wrote:
> Dear NCUC'ers,
>
> First of all, I thank Robin for the wonderful help in reporting what
> happened in Sampa.
I agree with this - thanks, Robin.

Norbert Klein