more on election (msg from dec.13)

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Mon Dec 18 12:15:27 CET 2006

I am worried about this -- the chair we had in the past with resources
to do all chores was Milton (who has a flock of "slaves" :) -- his PhD
students -- and a funded project to think only about Internet governance
to help him). This provided for a fantastic contribution (still does) to
NCUC, but doing the work right is not a question of being in the rich
North or in the poor South.

So, if the chair has no resources to tackle the tasks properly (as has
been my case), NCUC *must seek ways to solve this*. I am convinced there
must be regional rotation in the chair's post, so this time we should
*not* have North- or Latin-Americans occupying the post.

There is now a PIR offer to support resources for the chair's (and exec
comm's) secretarial work. If we can plan adequately and make a nice
proposal to PIR, this would be a solution to the problem. I do not like
to rely on one funder only, but we need this at least for a transition
in which we consolidate a good mechanism to support the chair's (and the
exec comm's) work.

==> Question: who is going to formulate a proposal to PIR? We need a
budget plan and a concrete proposal.

Last but not least, I insist we have not concluded the INTLNet process,
and it is not good for our image (we dismiss applicants on the grounds
*we believe* (!!) they are an individual, not an organization??). I
request (again!) that the exec comm reconsiders the request and reopens
a vote.

fraternal regards

--c.a.