more on election (msg from dec.13)

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Sat Dec 16 18:19:53 CET 2006

I was surprised that no one except Milton reacted to my message of
Dec.13 regarding elections (including the chair's) and relationship with
PIR, and discovered now that, since the ncuc list remains with an odd
configuration (replying to a message, unlike most lists, goes to the
sender and not to the list by default), I overlooked this and got only a
response from Milton). So here it goes again, sorry!

--c.a.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: more on elections
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:04:00 -0200
From: Carlos Afonso <ca at rits.org.br>
To: Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu>

Sorry, Milton and all, I was preparing another message just for the
chair election. After all, the most urgent one is Robin's replacement
and I do not want Danny to go through more sleepless nights on this. ;)

You are right, we need more details, which I try to describe below.

First of all, just to make sure, I am *not* running for re-election, as
I have mentioned to several members in the recent past. I am surprised
you were in suspense :). So, this part is easy as well: we need new
chair candidates. My personal view is that the new chair should be from
a region other than North America or LA&C.

Secondly, I had a talk with Ed Viltz (as did Norbert). According to him,
PIR is willing to continue supporting the work of NCUC. Would like to
provide more support if there is growth in the current constituency. PIR
is also willing to provide specific support for the work of the chair --
cannot be a salaried secretary, but can be a grant to an organization
which provides this secretarial support. This is quite relevant to carry
out the bureaucratic-formal-administrative chores, as well as not to
lose track of relevant deadlines and help in promoting NCUC.

In my view, ideally this administrative support grant (as I would call
it) should go to the same organization to which the chair belongs, so
the amount to be negotiated with PIR would probably depend on cost
standards for the corresponding country for the equivalent of a
part-time, English-capable, secretarial work.

So, in summary we have to:

1. Get candidates and vote for the new chair

2. Get candidates and vote for Exec Comm members in:

   --- Europe (Iliya confirms he is leaving)
   --- Africa (currently Olivier)
   --- North America (currently Frannie)
   --- Asia (currently Norbert)
   --- Latin America & Caribbean (currently Marcelo)

I personally do not see any conflicts between Exec Comm and
representation in the GNSO Council. To the contrary, it is good that one
of the Execs is also GNSO councillor -- good liaison.

3. Get candidates for the GNSO Council post as Robin leaves it.

The current list of members is available at the NCUC site. Milton, is
this being updated?

I will check this coming Friday with CGI.br if their voting system is
operational and if we can use it. Otherwise we will have to search for
other voting mechanism (suggestions welcome).

I propose the following schedule:

1. Candidates apply until Jan.14 by sending a message to the list
specifying the post for which she/he is running (chair, GNSO council,
Exec Comm).

2. On Jan.15 the chair posts the final list of candidates.

3. Through an agreed voting mechanism, the constituency proceeds to cast
votes from Jan.16 through Jan.23 (is a full week enough?).

Last but not least, we need to build a budget for NCUC to be submitted
to PIR and other sources, as per the above reported conversation.

fraternal regards

--c.a.