[Fwd: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Brainstorming on an answer to the gTLDs imbroglio...]

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Tue Sep 27 12:08:39 CEST 2005

Thanks, Milton - of course the list of the arguments you reiterated are
known well.

But I would like to add my understanding of why Carlos might have come up
with his questions.

I must say I was more and more surprised - and definitely so during the last
ICANN meetings in Luxembourg - how many companies in different countries put
up their stalls and distributed their flyers how to sell, re-sell, and
register their domains all over the globe. There was even one company which
was able to produce a full soccer team for the evening exercises.

The time ICANN spends on handling the side effects of a scarcity of TLDs,
and the defensive registrations, sunrise and delete protecting measures, is
tremendous; I have the impression the whole business is going on based on
its own economic dynamics - and our own initial concerns to have domains as
an opportunity to self-expression, freedom of speech etc. has somewhat moved
out of the focus.

So that is why I think the questions of Carlos - with some re-wording -
merit consideration. Especially asking: what is our NCUC concern at the
present point of developments.

Norbert

=

--