[Fwd: Re: [NCUC-DISCUSS] Brainstorming on an answer to the gTLDs imbroglio...]

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Sep 27 15:36:47 CEST 2005

>>> Norbert Klein <nhklein at GMX.NET> 09/27/05 6:08 AM >>>
>The time ICANN spends on handling the side effects of a scarcity of
>TLDs, and the defensive registrations, sunrise and delete protecting
>measures, is tremendous;

The solution to that is NOT to call for an indefinite moratorium that
prolongs artificial scarcity. I see no connection at all between your
diagnosis and Carlos's proposal.

Defensive registrations and sunrise issues would only be worsened by
Carlos's approach - it would prolong the idea that TLDs are some rare
and dangerous thing that have to be micromanaged in their introduction,
and that every interest group in the world gets to claim some kind of
veto power or special privilege in their introduction. No.

Delete protection is important for EVERYONE in this market, commercial
or noncommercial. If you change your registrar (which is an important
right, to foster price and service competition). But be clear about
this: delete protection has absolutely nothing to do with new TLDs.