Brainstorming on an answer to the gTLDs imbroglio...

KathrynKL at AOL.COM KathrynKL at AOL.COM
Mon Sep 26 15:09:48 CEST 2005

Carlos:
We have fought so hard for the creation of new gTLDs.  From a "freedom  of
expression" perspective, it is critical to keep opening up new gTLDs so there
are places that noncommercial organizations, individuals and entrepreneurs can
register domain names for basic words like "sun" and "tide" and not be in
conflict with the trademark owners.

I can see how your plan could be used to expand the range of input  coming in
to ICANN.  I think it could certainly help inform and provide  some sense of
guidance to the way new gTLDs are created.

But why declare a moratorium until then?  I thought that as a  Constituency
we liked the idea of lots of new gTLDs.  Why not keep the  ICANN process, and
then replace it when there is a plan to replace it  with?

Regards,
Kathy

- An  immediate moratorium should be declared on  the
creation/delegation/redelegation of  g/sTLDs.