tragic event in Pernambuco, Brazil

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Sep 23 20:38:09 CEST 2005

NCUC member organization CDI's offices and training center were
attacked (9/21, 05:30 pm) by a group of "marinais" who held
the staff, the trainers and the trainees at gunpoint and stole all the
equipments they got, from laptops to printers to microwaves, etc. No
one was wounded or shot. A message from Marcelo told how affected he is
- 5 years of dedication/ work, which was also his life, gone. Not to
mention all the youth who were trained and provided with work. The
police alerted only appeared on the site after 40 mns because they
didn't have car available, although the premises belong to the state and
were supposed to be protected by the military police of the
"patrimonial" (public estate?) guard. They were called by the secretary
and the young guys but they only showed up when the police arrived.
Macelo is not really confident that the police will help find the
culprits, or resolve this problem.

Let's join in consoling Marcelo. Marcelo, let me offer any help I can.
This will also affect NCUC, although minor compared to the damage
suffered by CDI and Marcelo, because Marcelo had planned to help us
operate the voting procedure for our election.