nomination for GNSO Council

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 11 16:36:22 CEST 2005

Dear all:

I am truly honoured by Milton’s nomination and by the various, quick,
and spontaneous expressions of support from companions of the global
civil society, as well as by colleagues from various locations of the
world. Thank you all.

I am pleased to accept this nomination and wish to take up the
responsibility of NCUC councilor to GNSO. There is nothing as far as
I know that looks like ICANN, at the same level of its global scope,
with such a great potential of democratic bottom-up policy processes,
which is great, provided that all parties (or stakeholders) are
equally heard. All the latest debates and controversies over the
Internet governance and ICANN may just be a call for such robust,
independent, well grounded and fair Corporation policy-making
processes. I commit to serve that very goal on the Council,
representing at my best the full range of the non commercial entity
users of the Internet.

This is a challenging perspective, and I am definitely stimulated and
excited to join the community, especially at this period of the
Internet history, when more and more people get to talk about it and
its governance, which for me, indubitably indicates that more and
more people are being affected by the Internet, and with greater and
greater impact. I will just say a word of the region where I come
from. Over the last year, the Africa region has formally got its RIR
and we’ve been engaged in networking its emergent civil society for
the information society. Clearly, that region is looking forward to
jumping beyond its usual 1% of stake in anything ICT (except maybe
the mobile phone). And I wish to acknowledge that it might be the
last region where the educational institutions and the CSOs (though
still young and weakly structured) are still leading the path to the
growth of the Internet – contrary to the governments and the local
private sector. This shall indeed be a source of motivation for all
NCUC members.

And last, as more people are joining in and the stakeholders are
growing – and it is fortunate – so is the stake, and so may be the
risks. At this cross-road for the global Internet governance, the non
commercial users may require more attention to their needs, more
vigilance to how the Internet is being shaped. I hope with your
collaboration, we will deliver in fulfilling such an expectation and
minimizing those risks.

I look forward to it, and again, thank you.

Mawaki