proposed NCUC response to the ICANN-VeriSign settlement

Iliya Nickelt iliya at GMX.DE
Mon Nov 14 22:22:06 CET 2005

I agree to all parts of the statement. The big problem, as seen from
overseas, is that the generic TLD system equals to .com, maybe .net and
some noise. ICANN does not deal with this monopoly in a fair way if it
basically continues the status quo, allows verisign to have it their
way and recieves higher payments in return. "Quid custed custodies?" or
never let a monopoly be regulated by those who gain from it. I am not
so sure if those who should be concerned have noticed this, but ICANN
more and more seems to become a WTO case.

Maybe one could add to 3. [price caps]:
"Generous treatment of the most profitable registry by far that is at
the same time ICANNs main financial source is a dangerous way
to execute oversight."
   ...or something similar, I am open to everything.

Now a funny sidenote: US-citizens, who are all heavily in debt as we
are told, are probably not so good with numbers and tend to
underestimate the result of compound interest. Just for the fun of it,
I attached a graph that shows what 7% raise actually means. After I
plotted it I realised it was unfair not to take into account the
inflation and added a second graph of a 3.5% raise, which is soemwhat
nicer for Verisign. (Everybody who wants to argue about wether 3.5% is
a reasonable value for US inflation: go and draw your own graph.) But
ask yourself first: If you start with 10$ now, with an annual rise of
7%, where will you be in 2050?

	--iliya (I plan to be dead by then)