ncuc and the icann-verisign settlement

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Thu Nov 10 22:03:13 CET 2005

My people ::))

Still trembling a bit in confronting the huge tasks ahead of me ;), so
let me start doing something.

I have just received the letter below from Vint regarding the
ICANN-Verisign settlement. I guess we have a good opportunity to express
our views on this and related issues in the ICANN system, so I trust we
can start an exchange on this and get some meaningful propositions to
bring to the Board in Vancouver.

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

============

Vint Cerf wrote:
To:  mueller <mailto:mueller at syr.edu> @syr.edu

Cc:   Denise.michel at icann.org <outbind://119/Denise.michel@icann.org>
      Icann-board at icann.org

Dear Milton:

In an ongoing effort to support community dialogue and consultation
regarding the VeriSign settlement agreement, the Board is extending the
period for comment by requesting that the Noncommercial User Constituency
submit concise, actionable comments regarding the settlement's effect on
the
Noncommercial User community.  Please email these comments to
<settlement-statements at icann.org>, ideally prior to the ICANN Vancouver
meeting, so ICANN can use these comments as a basis for continued dialogue.
The Board invites the Noncommercial User Constituency to discuss the
settlement with the Board during the ICANN Vancouver meeting and,
additionally, will listen to comments regarding the settlement during the
Vancouver Public Forum.  The Board has set aside time to meet with the
Noncommercial User Constituency in Vancouver, and staff will follow-up to
confirm the details.

The Board appreciates the comments and questions about the settlement
posted
in ICANN's public forum and raised in meetings with staff since the
settlement was announced on 24 October.  Additional Q & A's (questions and
answers) will be posted on ICANN's website to address key issues raised and
support further dialogue and consultation.

We appreciate your constituency's efforts to assist the Board in
determining
whether the proposed settlement agreement is in the best interests of the
entire Internet community.  We look forward to seeing you and your
colleagues in Vancouver.

Sincerely,

Vint Cerf

Vinton G Cerf