US Commerce Dept drops a bombshell

Harold Feld hfeld at MEDIAACCESS.ORG
Thu Jun 30 23:35:06 CEST 2005

You do not understand the mentality of this administration.

The administration has just defined the terms of the debate.  ANY action at
the ICANN meeting and WGIG will only be in response to the US position.  All
other business and means of framing the debate will cease to matter.

Which has the effect of resetting the debate to where it was two years ago.

Further, it is impossible for this administration to be less popular abroad.
It gains no political capital via compromise.

This behavior is consistent with administration action on the Doha
Declaration, the WIPO Development Agenda, and similar venues.  When in doubt,
and when you are losing, forcefully reset the clock and redefine the issues
back to the beginning.

Harold

--
Harold Feld