Proposed NCUC statement on Whois notification

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Jan 31 16:31:01 CET 2005

Thanks for your comments, Alan!

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> Alan Levin <alan at AFRIDNS.ORG> 1/31/2005 3:46:02 AM >>>
>I think points 1 and 2 are quite onerous (for any registrant) and
will
>add some level of (unneccesary) additional process to each
>registration. As such I am not convinced that point 3 is required...

I strongly disagree. The notification is needed to protect and inform
registrants. Registrants are _not_ better off if their registration
process takes 20 seconds less time but they are completely unaware of
what happens to their private data.

>- Is the second placement of 'registrar' supposed to read
'registrant'?

Yes.

>- What do you mean by 'separate acknowledgement'?

A check box.

>(to me this sounds
>like additional bureaucracy

"bureaucracy" to me means additional people, reporting structures, and
process. This adds a half minute at most of process to the registration,
but nothing else. But the real issue is, it's worth it.