Discussion of ICANN strategic plan

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Jan 28 00:10:26 CET 2005

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> Erick Iriarte Ahon <faia at amauta.rcp.net.pe> 1/27/2005 5:26:19 PM
>>>
>I don't understand this: "(...) local Internet communities should
develop
>autonomously from the bottom up. "
>
>Yes.. everybody knows that. But what mean in this context, that it's
not
>possible to accept help to develop internet communities different
technical
>issues?.

Fair question. My thinking was to introduce an important distinction.
The object of the funding should be to support the forums and workshops
in developing countries, not to fund local internet communities as such.
I don't want to see ICANN's management take responsibility for
cultivating and developing local Internet communities. But I don't mind
them running workshops if existing local communities apply for help. The
difference may be subtle, but it's important. Yes, local internet
communities will be helped if ICANN runs a workshop or event in their
territory. So let them apply for that support. But we don't want, for
example, ICANN mgmt deciding who the "real" Internet community is or
favoring their friends over their critics.

One can accept help from many different sources. We are talking about
ICANN and ICANN only, not anyone else.