A request for action

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Mon Aug 29 16:59:04 CEST 2005

Dear Rick,

Rick Weingarten wrote:

>Just a comment here.
>
>It's really important to keep in mind that concerns about xxx are not confined to the right wing. ALA and others on the free speech side of the spectrum also have grave concerns that labeled speech is a major step toward censorship. Let's guess how many days will elapse between the actual establishment of the domain and the appearance of the first bills in the US Congress seeking to limit access to xxx (such as in schools and libraries) and requiring that certain information providers be restricted to xxx.  It could be a nightmare for us.

Not only that. I insist on the view that new gTLDs (or sTLDs) are
approved just for the purpose of making more money and thus generating
more income to ICANN. A sufficient number of major second-level domain
owners will purchase <whatever_secondary_domain>.<any_xyz_topTLD> in
order to preserve their domains or their brand names (in many cases they
will never use them, just pay the annual fee to keep them from others),
so nearly all gTLDs start with a captive market which ensures the
initial and almost immediate break-even of any registry. I do not have
to repeat here the scandalous offer from ICANN that countries purchase
thousands of domains under .travel in 90 days or else they will lose
them to others...

So the only interests being defended here are not freedom of or right to
whatever, free speech, religious concerns and so on, but the ones of the
company which originated the successful bid for .<any_combination_of
letters> and of ICANN itself (nearly totally dependent on the gTLD
business and hungry for cash as it is confronted with a monster budget
to fund). All the rest is skillfully cosmetic.

In the case of .xxx, this is just a business negotiation between ICANN
and ICM, as described below (from
http://www.avnonline.com/index.php?Primary_Navigation=Editorial&Action=View_Article&Content_ID=108536)
with all the usual candor of the wooden faces of the business, trying to
convince us this will be very good for children as well (!!!), and
trying to disguise the business as a non-profit operation through a
concoction called IFFOR!

Now, my question is: what is NCUC really going to do about all this?
Will we go ahead and tackle ICANN's strategic issues as a whole, or just
remain a GNSO appendage?

frt rgds

--c.a.

[...]
Who’s Behind .XXX?

The current bid for a .xxx TLD is sponsored by ICM Registry, a tech
company with no previous ties to the porn world. Founded in 1996 and run
by entrepreneur Stuart Lawley, ICM Registry’s first bid for a .xxx TLD
was back in 2000. “ICM Registry’s application was not selected to be one
of the ‘proof of concept’ test-bed TLDs in the 2000 application round,”
says ICM Registry’s vice president of strategic business development
Jason Hendeles. “The previous round was more of a ‘beauty pageant,’
whereas this round is based on more objective criteria.”

Since then, ICM Registry has worked to build the kind of broad support
ICANN needs to accept their TLD proposal this time around. The list of
adult companies standing behind .xxx includes heavy-hitters likeVivid,
Webquest, AdultShop, Python and Hustler; however, the XXX industry is
joined by a range of other organizations rarely on the same side of any
debate with porno professionals. “We’ve engaged in an outreach program
to explore the concerns of the broader Internet community,” Hendeles
explains. “The diverse group of stakeholders includes child and family
safety groups, free speech advocates, information technology experts,
and public policy leaders, both from Washington and internationally.”

While ICM Registry will handle the technical side of maintaining the
.xxx TLD, IFFOR will represent the community of .xxx Webmasters in its
interactions with the “outside world,” as well as establishing a set of
best business practices. The specifics of these practices have yet to be
determined, but are likely to prohibit some kinds of spamming and
pop-ups as well as fraud and other illegal practices. Other than
restrictions on unlawful material like child porn, there will be no
content restrictions.

Past attempts to organize the adult technology industry have been less
effective than many would prefer (remember The Global Internet
Association?), perhaps due to the individualist nature of many members
of the community; but the backers of .xxx think they’re on to an
effective means of herding the adult Internet’s cats. “The key
distinction that may result in success for IFFOR, where other, similar
groups have failed, is the mandatory allocation of a percentage of
domain name registration funds for these organizing efforts,” says First
Amendment and online entertainment attorney Lawrence Walters, a partner
in the firm of Weston, Garrou & DeWitt.
[...]