Emergency resolution on .xxx recall - and the destruction of ICANN's integrity

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Tue Aug 16 20:03:12 CEST 2005

I understand your point, Milton, but I do not think it applies in this
specific case. The original (and very strong) opposition to this
unfortunate ICANN decision came from many countries, some of which had
the opportunity to express their disagreement in the Luxembourg GAC
meetings, as the GAC chair's message describes -- it is not a pressure
from the US alone.

I understand and defend freedom of expression, free initiative and so
on, but unfortunately even in the paradise of free initiative (the USA)
mostly every private business is regulated. If ICANN's criteria for
deciding on an arbitrary combination of letters for gTLDs and sTLDs is
sloppy, still there must be checks and balances, or some sort of
regulation -- even if in a sloppy way, as is the case.

It is clear this .xxx move was a move for money alone, without due
consideration to other implications of cultural and other natures. ICANN
must establish stronger, fair, balanced criteria in consensus with all
stakeholders (governments are also stakeholders...) or this will be just
the beginning of a tremendous imbroglio, as if ICANN needed more of them...

frt rgds

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>Many of us have warned for years that the US's unilateral political
>power over ICANN was a problem. Too many people didn't listen. Now that
>power is being displayed and used in a way that even the most abject
>apologists for the system cannot deny.
>
>Over the weekend ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee transmitted a
>letter asking ICANN to reverse its decision to approve the .xxx TLD. A
>letter from the US Commerce Dept supporting that request has also been
>filed. http://www.icann.org/correspondence/gallagher-to-cerf-15aug05.pdf
>

>I believe it is essential that NCUC, ALAC and WSIS civil society join
>together in a resolution or letter to ICANN, its GAC and the US Commerce
>department expressing concern over and opposition to the GAC's attempt
>to reverse the .xxx delegation.
>
>What is at stake here is the very model of the Internet as a private
>sector and civil society-driven institution, and as an INTERNATIONAL
>institution. This is not about .xxx per se. (although it should be noted
>that all .xxx proposes to do is openly and accurately identify porn on
>the Internet, which is in every legitimate user's interest.  The
>creation of a .xxx TLD does not CREATE pornography, which we all know is
>already out there.)
>
>The decision by the US to exercise in an unambiguous way its unilateral
>power over ICANN has been made in a surprising context. But I have
>checked the facts and there is no doubt about it. The US Commerce
>Department's Deputy Secretary David A. Sampson, confirmed by the Senate
>July 22, is responsible for the sudden decision of the US to support the
>GAC's attack on ICANN's delegation process. Sampson was influenced by
>the Family Research Council, a culturally conservative religious group
>in the US, which made it an issue. Sampson is a graduate of David
>Lipscomb University , the New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary and
>earned his doctorate at Abilene Christian University.
>http://www.commerce.gov/bios/sampson_bio.htm
>
>ICANN participants must stand up for the integrity of the institution
>as a global, legitimate policy making system. One government cannot be
>given an arbitrary and unlimited power to reverse the result of a
>decision making process that has gone on for five years and consumed
>millions of dollars in resources, just because a domestic political
>constituency doesn't like the result.
>
>If this recall is allowed to go forward unchallenged, governments will
>have asserted and gained a form of arbitrary power over the Internet at
>its very core. ICANN's often flawed attempt to be a bottom-up
>organization will be completely defeated, forever. This is a very
>important issue. It is essential for ALAC, NCUC and other civil society
>actors to unite on this.
>
>I will be drafting a proposed short resolution. I hope to transmit it
>to these lists soon.
>

>Dr. Milton Mueller
>Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> [...]

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br