The TLD debate, again

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Wed Aug 31 16:31:26 CEST 2005

Grande Milton, the essential problem of your view is that everything
that needs to be discussed on the issue has already been discussed
(particularly in Syracuse), and usually those discussions just point out
that this is a private business and should be left alone whatever the
arguments, and you (and I assume your fellow phds) include ccTLDs in
this (your ideal vision would be a world of competing ccTLDs for each
and every country -- it seems you still believe in the free competition
world taught in Economics 101 in Syracuse...).

I do not agree and I feel we need to restart this whole discussion,
obviously outside of the ICANN realm. I think a working group on this
would have to be formed outside of the ICANN influence -- including in
this influence the current non-commercial instances like ALAC and NCUC.
Of course members of these constituencies would participate, but would
not lead or bias the formation of the working group in any way.

I trust this idea might gather momentum from now to the end of this
year, who knows?

fraternal rgds

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>Carlos:
>I welcome your interest in this issue. And I appreciate the vigor you bring to your expression of your views. However, to participate in the TLD debate you need to show some awareness of the fact that it has been going on for ten years, and perhaps read some of the studies and debates that have taken place. A good place to start is the NCUC position paper from Feb. 2003.
>http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/20030612.gTLDs-committee-conclusions-v7-1.html
>
>I could also recommend a paper by myself and Lee McKnight, which one of the only scholarly contributions:
>http://dcc.syr.edu/miscarticles/NewTLDs2-MM-LM.pdf
>
>Your contention that a new commercial TLD has a guaranteed business because of defensive registrations by existing domain name holders is a common argument of the intellectual property interests, but has been disproven by experience. Any commercial TLD that relies entirely on that will not survive economically. The Sapiro report on new TLDs for ICANN has some statistics on degrees of duplication, as do other studies, e.g. by the Berkman Center. Indeed, the more new TLDs are added, the less viable this argument becomes. So if you are really concerned about defensive registrations join us.
>
>Your contention that there is something wrong with .org because it is not a restricted name space is something that was debated vehemently here among NCUC and within ICANN. NCUC, I am proud to say, took the lead in ensuring that .org remained open. Interestingly, it was the business and intellectual property interests who were most interested in restricting it to "verified" nonprofits. We opposed that because a) there is no global standard for verification of "noncommercial" status; b) we didn't want to give people who want to attack online expression yet another excuse to throw people out, and c) because it would drastically increase the cost of registration. .Org has maintained a widespread public reputation as a space for nonprofits through purely voluntary means, thank you very much. The fact that there are a few nasty registrations is not a big deal - certainly not worth sacrificing the freedom and ease of registration we already have.
>
>NCUC, ALAC, APC (yes, APC, see its Yokohama statement from 2000), CPSR, CPTech and virtually every progressive organization that has looked at the issue in any detail has opposed artificial restriction of the TLD space and supported a more open and objective TLD addition process. Your position is a tiny minority one, and one more often associated with the intellectual property interests.

> [...]

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br