A request for action

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Tue Aug 30 17:19:23 CEST 2005

Forwarded from the WSIS Internet Governance Caucus list....apropos of
Horacio's comments, this pretty much sums up the absurdity of what is
happening in some circles.

>>> "Lee McKnight" <LMcKnigh at syr.edu> 08/30/05 10:50 AM >>>
I must have missed something, because if I am following the
gist of the TLD thread properly:

1) we object to US unilateral control of the net, except when
that control is used to regulate content we may or may not
personally object to

1)a (and since the line drawn here is perfectly clear, there is no
need to be alarmist about this, just relax, this is a special case)

2) the root zone file is really really small, so we should not make
it bigger, except of course we must make it bigger because of
DNSSec, but not to worry, we know bigger is no problem - but
we must make it no bigger than that, except when we do
(eventually add multilingual gTLDs)

3) and of course we know permitting many more gTLDs would
reduce their scarcity value and make it less likely we would
argue about them, but we prefer arguing about them, except
in this case, where three x's in a row are really offensive and
just dumb, except to the rest of the world which wishes more
attention would be paid to making it easier to add
other scripts and many multilingual domains and - dare I say
it? gTLDs...

As we now appear to have reached a rough consensus on
points 1-3, perhaps we can move on the list to thinking about
matters such as PrepCom 3, and the forum, and...

    Lee