9TH CIRCUIT RULES ICANN NOT A GOVERNMENT ACTOR

Marc Rotenberg rotenberg at EPIC.ORG
Sun Apr 10 22:18:00 CEST 2005

The decision is available at:
http://www.icann.org/legal/mcneil-v-icann/order-denying-appeal
-1apr05.pdf

The relevant excerpt is:

        The district court correctly held that McNeil cannot assert a
        First Amendment claim against ICANN because ICANN, a
        non-profit public benefit corporation established by agencies
        of the United States government to administer the Internet
        domain name system, is not a government actor.

        McNeil v. Verisign, No. 03-16946, 9th Circ., Apr. 1, 2005

Marc Rotenberg.