Time to replace Carlos!

Milton Mueller Mueller at SYR.EDU
Thu Apr 14 21:43:43 CEST 2005

We need to hold an election to GNSO Council. Carlos's term is up and he doesn't want to run again. I call for nominations immediately. This was discussed in Argentina, and I believe that Norbert Klein was willing to run, so I nominate him. Other nominations from the Latin America, Africa and Asia regions are all eligible to run. Nominations from North America and Europe are ineligible as we already have Council members from those regions.

Message below explains what's happening.

>>> "GNSO.SECRETARIAT at GNSO.ICANN.ORG" <gnso.secretariat at gnso.icann.org> 4/14/2005 10:51:16 AM >>>
Dear Milton,

At the Mar del Plata meeting on April 8 2005 the full ICANN Board
adopted the proposed amendments to the Bylaws as posted
(http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-18mar05.htm ) which
support 3 representatives per constituency, and instructed the President
and General Counsel to take such actions as appropriate to implement the
amendments.
No two representatives selected by a Constituency shall be citizens of
the same country or of countries located in the same Geographic Region.
(see the full resolution below)

Given that the Board has approved this, would you please run any
necessary elections and update the status of your representatives on the
GNSO Council.
Please let me know if I can be of any help.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Glen

From: http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-08apr05.htm

Proposed Change to ICANN Bylaws Regarding Number of GNSO Council
Representatives

Whereas, one of ICANN's Core Values from Bylaws Article I, Section 2 is
"Seeking and supporting broad, informed participation reflecting the
functional, geographic, and cultural diversity of the Internet at all
levels of policy development and decision-making."

Whereas, the Transition Article (XX) of the Bylaws states that "In the
absence of further action on the topic by the New Board, each of the
GNSO constituencies shall select two representatives to the GNSO
Council...."

Whereas the Board resolved in Carthage on 31 October 2003 to change the
transition article (Article XX) of the ICANN bylaws to allow each
constituency of the GNSO to continue to be represented on the GNSO
Council by three representatives per constituency until the end of the
ICANN annual meeting in 2004.

Whereas the GNSO Council requested that the Board extend the arrangement
of three representatives per constituency until the ICANN meeting in Mar
del Plata, Argentina (4 - 8 April 2005) in order for the external review
to be completed following a public comment period.

Whereas, the Board initiated a review of the GNSO Council in 2004
pursuant to Bylaws Article IV, section 4, including, among other aspects
of the review criteria, an analysis of the efficacy of having three
representatives from each constituency on the GNSO Council.

Whereas, the report of the independent consultant that performed the
GNSO Council Review recommended that "The Council is working well with
three representatives from each constituency. No one who is involved
with the Council perceives that having three representatives hinders the
workings of the Council."

Whereas the GNSO Council's self-review also supported the continuance of
three representatives from each constituency.

Whereas public comments received on the independent review (22 December
2004 - 24 January 2005) and on the proposed Bylaws amendment (18 March
2005 - 8 April 2005) indicated no significant opposition, and
considerable support, for the proposal to maintain three representatives
per constituency.

Resolved (05.___) the Board adopts the proposed amendments to the Bylaws
as posted, and instructs the President and General Counsel to take such
actions as appropriate to implement the amendments.

--
Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN