Expert Report endorses tiered access to Whois data

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Apr 3 15:37:37 CEST 2005

An expert report released Thursday on the Domain Name System by the National Research Council, considered the issue of WHOIS and came to following conclusion:

"Whois data management and access should be designed to allow for gradations in access while maintaining some degree of free access to Whois information."

The report was sponsored by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the National Science Foundation, and mandated by the U.S. Congress through Public Law 105-305.

The report, "Signposts in Cyberspace: The Domain Name System and Internet Navigation," is available at ths URL:

http://www7.nationalacademies.org/cstb/pub_dns.html

The full report also makes recommendations regarding new TLDs (there is no technical or operational risk to adding 20-90 TLDs annually), Internet governance and DNS (governments should stay out), security (DNSSEC should be encouraged) and many other DNS-related topics.

>>> "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au> 3/29/2005 12:06:27 PM >>>
Hello Glen,

Some suggested changes attached.

Regards,