Fwd: [council] Reminder regarding terms of office

Milton Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Sep 13 21:26:42 CEST 2004

This message regards the current GNSO Council positions.
Carlos and Jisuk take heed! Also, if anyone wants to run for
Council, take heed also!

Our election schedule fits in well with the GNSO Council's
terms. (Thank God for small favors). If we start the process
October 1 as planned, we should be able to fill the position
by Nov. 20 easily.

Note that unless the ICANN Board enacts a new rule,
there will be only TWO GNSO Council members from NCUC
instead of 3.

(Thanks for Marc Schneiders for forwarding this)
--MM

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:43:39 +1000
From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
To: council at gnso.icann.org
Cc: John Jeffrey <jeffrey at icann.org>
Subject: [council] Reminder regarding terms of office

Hello All,

Just a reminder regarding terms of office.

(1) My term as chair expires on 20 Nov 2004.

From: http://www.gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-20nov03.shtml

Decision 1: Bruce Tonkin is elected GNSO Council chair for one year,
November 20, 2003 to November 20, 2004.

So we will need to hold an election for GNSO chair.

(2) The terms of many of the Council members (2 per constituency)
expire
at the end of ICANN's 2004 Annual General Meeting (set for 5 Dec
2004).

From: http://www.gnso.icann.org/council/members.shtml

NorthA -  Marilyn Cade (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
NorthA  - Ken Stubbs (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
AsiaPac  - Philip Colebrook (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
LatinAC  - Tony Harris (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
NorthAm - Greg Ruth (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
AsiaPac- Jisuk Woo (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
LatinAC  - Carlos Afonso (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
NorthA  - Ross Rader (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
Europe  - Thomas Keller (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
LatinAC - Kiyoshi I. Tsuru A. (term expires end of annual meeting
2004)
NorthA  - Lucy Nichols (term expires end of annual meeting 2004)
Europe  - Amadeu Abril i Abril - Term: conclusion of the Annual
Meeting
2004

I recommend constituencies begin to plan elections for this year.

Under the current bylaws, we will drop from 3 to 2 representatives per
constituency.

My understanding is that the GNSO Council desires to retain 3
representatives, but we will need to get the Board to approve a change
in the bylaws to support that request.

I recommend constituencies proceed on the basis of electing one member
of the Council under the current bylaws, and also elect a reserve to
be
available to take up the additional seat should the Board approve.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin