Numbering issues and WGIG

Marc Schneiders marc at SCHNEIDERS.ORG
Thu Sep 9 23:19:25 CEST 2004

Thanks, Harold, for your breakdown of how these things work in real
life. With IPv6 we will be tied more than ever to a certain ISP. If I
understand it, blocks cannot be used with another ISP. New ISP means
new IP numbers in IPv6. The solution is simple: DNS. It was (and is)
meant to move transparently from one set of IP addresses to another.
>From one ISP to another.
It is like a PO box. Change premisses but keep your address.

I think we do need to fight the charges certain money grabbers want
for public IP number space. The best way to do that is to go to a
competitor of those who charge. Here (Holland, Europe) it is still
possible to get IP addresses for free.