EC deliberations on WGIG nominations

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Wed Sep 8 12:41:42 CEST 2004

>Adam:
>
>The fairly weak nature of your objections I will deal with
>below:

I thought you would provide a bit more information about the people
you were considering, something more rigorous. Even google. Or some
news IT service
(<http://search.wired.com/wnews/default.asp?query=Cappato>.)

>  >>> Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> 9/7/2004 4:14:08 AM >>>
>>You didn't know you were discussing AFRINIC's
>>Executive Director?  Bizarre.
>
>Yes, I did know that. I reviewed his complete proposal
>for Afrinic. I used vague language describing him to others,
>is it important, is it even relevant?

Milton says:
Adiel is someone associated with the emergent AFRINIC, i.e.,
the address registry for Africa

  and

Milton says:
Adiel I know little about, except that he is making presentations
about AfriNIC.

I know this is taken out of context and I do not mean to distort what
you said, but it seems strange not to say what you know about a
person when the point of the conversation is to tell each other what
you know about that person.  Yes, I think it's relevant.

I just thought you might have shown you'd taken things a little more
seriously. It's an IM session, I'm not talking about emoticons and
stuff, but some serious discussion, and there's not a lot of that.

Anyway, the people on the list are good.  I have reservations about
Karl (stated) but most people disagree with me.  Fine, he should stay
on the list.

Marco Cappato is interesting, great background. He has been involved
in WSIS, and has been very outspoken against Tunisian involvement
(the appointment of a particularly foul man to head the Tunis Summit
organizing committee -- ex general who ran the country's interior
ministry, tortured people. Hard to find a more inappropriate choice.)
So you might wonder if putting Cappato's name forward is worthwhile:
positive, he makes important statements about Internet rights and
freedoms, might be very good to have on WGIG;  negative, politically
an impossible appointment for Annan to agree to, putting his name
forward would make a statement but is also likely to result in a
wasted spot (I think he stands little chance of being selected.) But
with what I know about him I lean towards supporting him on the list,
but I think he's someone you should find out more about. Guess Robin
knows more about him.

Before going public with the list I think it would be a good idea to
ask people concerned if they understand what's likely to be involved
in joining the working group and if they are willing to have their
names put forward by the constituency. And produce a biography of the
person, which is what I thought your winnowing process would do. It's
not clear that a list of names plus policy/technical/region will be
of much value to Markus Kummer.

Thanks,

Adam